IN THE PRESS
There are national stories and events which impact on the River Sid.
13 July 2021: The Environment Agency has just published its annual report on the water companies – and it doesn’t make very impressive reading: EA report: in the South West, only one in every five rivers support a healthy ecology – Vision Group for Sidmouth
9 September 2021: Only14% of the UK’s rivers are deemed to be in a good ecological state – so would giving them more ‘rights’ help protect them? Creating a stink on Britain’s dirty rivers – Vision Group for Sidmouth
15 September 2021: Reports by 1) Salmon and Trout Conservation, 2) a coalition of charities, including the RSPB, the National Trust and the Rivers Trust, and 3) the New Statesman – all show high levels of pollution are ending up in our rivers: Looking after our rivers – Vision Group for Sidmouth
The River Sid has often been featured in the local press.
Here are a few pieces from the last decade or so.
- Gardeners needed for Sidmouth’s annual Balsam bashing | Sidmouth Herald (2017)
- Volunteers needed to help ‘bash the balsam’ in Sidmouth | Sidmouth Herald (2014)
- A father and son and the Otter | Eat, Sleep, Fish – DEVEL (A profile of Colin Nice: 2018)
- ‘Fish ladder needed to help river’s salmon and trout’ | Sidmouth Herald (2015)
- Sidmouth fish rescue season starts | Sidmouth Herald (2011)
- Sidmouth fish release finds brown sea trout | Sidmouth Herald (2010)
FISH LADDER: EAST DEVON
- Sidmouth homes to be protected from flooding – Vision Group for Sidmouth (2018)
- £800k scheme to protect Sidmouth from ‘very real threat of flooding’ approved – Devon Live (2018)
- River Sid floods in The Byes Sidmouth 7th July 2012 – YouTube (2012)
FRIENDS OF THE BYES
- Sidmouth Friends of the Byes – fantastic response to anniversary month | Sidmouth Herald (2020)
- River Sid in the spring… What beauty! (2020)
- 1/3 A walk along the river… in the shade of the trees… (2019)
- BEE Project for Sidmouth gets �50k grant | Sidmouth Herald (2011)
- Sidmouth resident catches rare footage of otter in the River Sid | Sidmouth Herald (2020)
- PHOTOS: Eagle-eyed photographer spots otter feeding near Sidmouth (2020)
- An otter-ly unsual sighting at River Sid | Sidmouth Herald (2014)
- Otter watch lauch at River Sid | Sidmouth Herald (2011)
- Scientists from Exeter University find banned pesticides in the River Otter | Sidmouth Herald (2018)
- Looking after the River Sid – the restoration project making a splash in East Devon | The Exeter Daily (2013)
SID VALLEY BIODIVERSITY GROUP
THE RIVER SID
And here is one of our photos.