IN THE PRESS
There are national stories and events which impact on the River Sid.
13 July 2021: The Environment Agency has just published its annual report on the water companies – and it doesn’t make very impressive reading: EA report: in the South West, only one in every five rivers support a healthy ecology | Vision Group for Sidmouth
19 July 2021: There are concerns that the latest scientific studies show that “Active coronavirus has been found in faeces, so sewage discharge into rivers where people swim, especially in these hot weather conditions, is potentially lethal.”: Coronavirus in untreated sewage “can remain infectious” | Vision Group for Sidmouth
23 July 2021: Surfers Against Sewage have witnessed the latest pollution off the Devon coast: “Raw sewage is being pumped into our waters and it’s an ongoing problem.” | Vision Group for Sidmouth
9 September 2021: Only14% of the UK’s rivers are deemed to be in a good ecological state – so would giving them more ‘rights’ help protect them? Creating a stink on Britain’s dirty rivers | Vision Group for Sidmouth
15 September 2021: Reports by 1) Salmon and Trout Conservation, 2) a coalition of charities, including the RSPB, the National Trust and the Rivers Trust, and 3) the New Statesman – all show high levels of pollution are ending up in our rivers: Looking after our rivers | Vision Group for Sidmouth
The River Sid has often been featured in the local press.
Here are a few pieces from the last decade or so.
- Gardeners needed for Sidmouth’s annual Balsam bashing | Sidmouth Herald (2017)
- Volunteers needed to help ‘bash the balsam’ in Sidmouth | Sidmouth Herald (2014)
- A father and son and the Otter | Eat, Sleep, Fish – DEVEL (A profile of Colin Nice: 2018)
- ‘Fish ladder needed to help river’s salmon and trout’ | Sidmouth Herald (2015)
- Sidmouth fish rescue season starts | Sidmouth Herald (2011)
- Sidmouth fish release finds brown sea trout | Sidmouth Herald (2010)
FISH LADDER: EAST DEVON
- Sidmouth homes to be protected from flooding | Vision Group for Sidmouth (2018)
- £800k scheme to protect Sidmouth from ‘very real threat of flooding’ approved | Devon Live (2018)
- River Sid floods in The Byes Sidmouth 7th July 2012 – YouTube (2012)
FRIENDS OF THE BYES
- Sidmouth Friends of the Byes – fantastic response to anniversary month | Sidmouth Herald (2020)
- River Sid in the spring… What beauty! (2020)
- 1/3 A walk along the river… in the shade of the trees… (2019)
- BEE Project for Sidmouth gets �50k grant | Sidmouth Herald (2011)
- Sidmouth resident catches rare footage of otter in the River Sid | Sidmouth Herald (2020)
- PHOTOS: Eagle-eyed photographer spots otter feeding near Sidmouth | East Devon News (2020)
- An otter-ly unsual sighting at River Sid | Sidmouth Herald (2014)
- Otter watch lauch at River Sid | Sidmouth Herald (2011)
- Scientists from Exeter University find banned pesticides in the River Otter | Sidmouth Herald (2018)
- Looking after the River Sid – the restoration project making a splash in East Devon | The Exeter Daily (2013)
SID VALLEY BIODIVERSITY GROUP
THE RIVER SID
And here is one of our photos.